Brandeis MRSEC-Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Program
Brandeis University was awarded a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant to establish a Materials Research Science and Engineering Center. The research in our center concerns the combination of materials science with biology. We have very strong programs in the physical sciences and the life sciences, which we have combined to study this fascinating area.
The summer REU program has a list of mentors and projects in the wide range of research topics, giving students the opportunity to participate in cutting-edge research in a rapidly developing area of interdisciplinary science.
Applications and transcripts are due in early February, and selection of the summer students proceeds with center faculty through April. With direction from a faculty adviser and, in most cases, a postdoctoral fellow or graduate student, the REU student defines and sets up the program necessary to accomplish the 10-week summer project. A final presentation is given by each student at the end-of-summer seminar attended by center faculty, student mentors and fellow REU students.
The REU program includes:
- a stand-alone, substantive research project, appropriate for a 10-week period for each student
- $5,000 stipend plus all costs for travel and housing
- interaction with a faculty member and daily interaction with a graduate student mentor
- a full day faculty-led workshop on various research topics, ethics in research, and an early career panel
- emphasis on professional development, including written and oral skills and preparing for a career in science and engineering
- end-of-summer REU poster session in which students present research results and conclusions
- social activities and visits to local area attractions
Students interested in the Brandeis-REU program should contact:
Phone: (781) 736-2838
Phone: (757) 728-6047